- Always hydrate! Drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day ensures you stay hydrated. If you work outside you may need to double that depending on how much energy you exert.
- When working outside, be sure to take frequent breaks to not over exert yourself.
- Dress in light breathable clothing. Cotton and linen are lighter fabrics. Try to find light colored fabrics as well.
- Eat fruits and vegetables. High sodium foods dehydrate you throughout the day. Large meals require more energy and actually increase your body temperature. Stick with salads and frequent small meals to provide beneficial energy.
- Stay away from caffeinated and alcoholic drinks. These dehydrate you extensively.
- Stay in cool dry areas. Many people enjoy being outside in the summer, yet during extreme heat you need to give yourself a break and cool down.
- Wear sunscreen! Not only will it prevent a sunburn, it will help you alleviate sun poisoning and sickness.
- Young children and the elderly need to take extra precautions during heat waves. Make sure to check up on the elderly if they live alone and have your children take frequent cooling breaks.
Here at ServiceMaster DAK, we want to make sure you stay safe during extreme weather. Make sure to pass on these tips to your family this summer!